Malta Debt Collection – No Win No Fee
Creditreform operates a global specialist International debt collections service. We have local offices and fully approved expert international debt collection agency partners in every country worldwide. All our International debt collection agency partners and offices operate on a No Win No Fee basis charging an agreed commission against monies recovered only.
Main reasons why a local country debt recovery agency is so important rather than trying to recover from a debt collection agency UK are as follows:
The local International Debt collection Partners know:
- The local cultures
- The languages
- The laws
- Are in the same time zones
Herewith details of our debt collection service Malta
Location of debt recovery office in Malta
Number of debt collection staff
Around 100 employees work in various departments.
How long have you been operating a debt recovery service in Malta?
We have been operating since 1987.
What type of debt collection services do you provide? Do you do commercial debt recovery (B2B) and consumer debt recovery (B2C)?
We recover commercial debt as well as consumer debts.
Statue of Limitation in Malta
There are various prescription periods, in accordance to the civil code, as follows:
The following actions are barred by the lapse of one year:
- actions of masters and teachers of sciences or arts, for lessons given by the day or by the month;
- actions of keepers of inns, taverns or lodging-houses for lodging and board furnished by them;
- actions of domestic servants or other persons paid by the month, of artificers or day- labourers for the payment of their wages, salaries or the supplies due to them;
- actions of carriers by land or water referred to for the payment of their hire or
The following actions are barred by the lapse of eighteen months:
- actions of tailors, shoemakers, carpenters, masons, whitewashers, locksmiths, goldsmiths, watch-makers, and other persons exercising any trade or mechanical art, for the price of their work or labour or the materials supplied by them;
- actions of creditors for the price of merchandise, goods or other movable things, sold by retail;
- actions of persons who keep educational or
instructional establishments of any kind, for the payment of the fees due to them;
- actions of persons for the payment of their salary;
- actions of brokers for brokerage fees;
- actions of any person for the hire of movable
The following actions are barred by the lapse of two years:
- actions of builders of ships or other vessels, and of contractors in respect of constructions or other works made of wood, stone or other material, for the works carried out by them or for the materials supplied by them;
- actions of physicians, surgeons, obstetricians and apothecaries for their visits or operations or for medicines supplied by them;
- actions of advocates, legal procurators, notaries,
architects and civil engineers, and other persons exercising any other profession or liberal art, for their fees and disbursements;
- actions of procurators ad litem or other attorneys or mandataries, for their remuneration, the expenses incurred by them, indemnities due to them for losses sustained, and for the reimbursement of advances made by them
In terms of the Commercial Code, actions arising from bills of exchange or from promissory notes shall be barred by prescription by the lapse of 5 years from the day of their maturity, and actions arising from drafts or cheques on bankers or cashiers shall be barred by prescription by the lapse of 5 years from their date.
Debt recovery in Maltese Courts
Debt collection cases are tried in courts dependant on the amount of debt as follows:
- First Hall Civil Court for claims exceeding €15,000;
- Court of Magistrates for claims between €5,000 and €15,000;
- Small Claims Tribunal for claims that do not exceed €5,000
It is important to note that a judicial letter in terms of Article 166A may only be filed when debt due does not exceed €25,000. Should the debt due and claim exceed €25,000 a judicial letter and eventually a lawsuit must be filed.
There are various Registers in Malta:-
- The Companies register which is called Malta Business register and holds details of all Maltese registered companies &
- The Courts of Malta website for judgements
The Maltese association of Credit Management which collects data from its members and from the Courts and the Malta Business register. This database includes Dishonoured cheque history, overdue payments, Court notices and notices from the Malta Business Register.
Specialist Debt Recovery Experts
There are many unique requirements to recovering international debts in all countries including Malta debt collection services which differ from the UK debt collection agency services and therefore it is very important that cases are handled directly by our expert international debt collection agencies and not from debt collectors UK. This method of international debt collection sets Creditreform aside from the competition who in many cases try and recover debts from a UK debt collector only. Using the local offices and partners enables us to achieve a far greater success rate and our No Win No Fee service together with competitive commission rates against monies recovered only ensures you get the best service.