Netherlands Debts Collection Service
Creditreform operates an International debt collection globally. Our international debt collection agency partners are fully approved and experts in their country. Herewith details of the international debt collection service in the Netherlands.
Location of office(s) in Netherlands
1 office in Almere
Number of staff
How long been operating in Netherlands
Since 1997 in Netherlands
Type of debts recovered
We handle B2B and B2C, amicable and legal
Statute of limitation in Netherlands
In general it’s 5 years and once you have a court order it’s 20 years
How EU laws effect debt collection in Netherlands
GDPR and legal procedures (EPO) have an effect. Other than that, we also have a set of laws/regulations for debt collection in the Netherlands e.g. with regard to the interest and costs.
How many company registries in the Netherlands for businesses?
In the Netherlands we have one, the Kamer van Koophandel or Chamber of Commerce.
What is the process in Netherlands?
After the amicable procedure (communication by letter, call, e-mail etc… and setting us a payment plan) we can start a legal procedure. Up to the amount of € 25.000 we do not need to instruct a law office but can act in court ourselves.
Average length of time to collect?
It depends on the case. Can be within a week, can be years but in general one could say that we try to solve the file within a timeframe of 4 months. It depends if a client has B2B or B2C clients only and the services or goods they delivered.
Can late payment fees / interest be added to claims?
In case of a B2C claim, there is a true set of rules that one must follow. If you do not do that, you can NOT add any costs. Dutch court does not take into account that a creditor has terms and conditions that state differently.
In case of a B2B claim, costs can be added if parties have agreed to so it must be in the conditions of the creditor and if not or if not signed, the B2B debtor will fall under the costs regime of a B2C claim.
Details on legal service / process in Netherlands
A default court order can be reached within approximately 10 to 12 weeks and in case of a disputed claim, the client must be aware of the fact that the court will quickly call for a meeting of parties (which we can represent or our lawyer can represent). In can even be -in case of a heavily disputed claim- that the court will order the creditor to appear in court in person so not represented but truly the creditor.
- Claims up to Eur. 25000; Kantongerecht. No lawyer needed
- Claims over Eur. 25000; representation by lawyer required
- Court costs based on the amount of the claim.
- Claims up to Eur 500 – court fees are Eur 121
- Claims over Eur 500 to Eur 12500 – court fees are Eur 486
- Claims over Eur 12500 to Eur 25000 – court fees are Eur 972
- Claims from Eur 25000 to Eur 100000 – court fees are Eur 1992
- Claims over Eur. 100,000 – court fees are Eur 4030
- Bailiffs are the only ones that may serve legal documents and execute court orders and clearly, they will charge you for that too. Costs are recoverable for a large part. Lawyer costs can be recovered according to set regulations.
Consumer (B2C) debts
- Interest rate for consumer debtors is 2% (2019)
- Final reminder is a must “14 days notice”
- Collection costs are fixed by law:
- Populair name is WIK: Wet Incasso Kosten (law on collection costs)
Official name is BIK: Besluit vergoeding voor buitengerechtelijke incassokosten (regulation regarding compensation of amicable collection costs) dates from March 2012, became effective on July 1st, 2012
There are many unique requirements to recovering international debts in all countries including The Netherlands debt collection services which differ from the UK and therefore it is very important that cases are handled directly by our expert international debt collection agencies and not from the UK office. This method of international debt collection sets Creditreform aside from the competition who in many cases try and recover debts from a UK office base only. Using the local offices and partners enables us to achieve a far greater success rate and our No Win No Fee service together with competitive commission rates against monies recovered only ensures you get the best service.